Found Animals at the Houston SPCA
Lost Pet Resource Center
Check the Houston SPCA
The Houston SPCA has animals in care after being rescued by our injured animal ambulance or found by a concerned citizen and brought to the Houston SPCA.
These FOUND animals are held for a time in hopes an owner can be identified. If you believe your lost pet is at the Houston SPCA, please review our Found Animal Listing of found pets in our care, by clicking the link below. Then, if you recognize your pet, make note of the animal ID and contact our call center to arrange a pickup, 713-869-7722.
Submit a Lost Pet Report
Submitting a Lost Pet Report with the Houston SPCA gives vital information about your missing pet for reference and review.
Our staff will review each Found Animal that comes into our care over the next 30 days, if an animal matches the information submitted, we will contact you. However, we always advise checking the Found Animal Listing regularly…the more eyes the better.
Utilize our Additional Resources
Greater Houston Area Shelters – We have compiled a list of animal shelters in the immediate and surrounding areas. Many organizations have a similar system of reporting lost animals.
Lost Pet Tips – The Houston SPCA has a list of helpful tips and suggestions for locating your missing pet, we have also linked out to additional resources.
We hope you find your pet!
Harris County Animal Control
*An appointment is required to look for your lost pet.
612 Canino Rd. Houston, TX. 77076
City of Houston BARC
under the “Lost My Pet” section.
* BARC is open seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
for pet owners looking for their lost pets.
200 Carr St. Houston, TX 77026 2700
Evella St. Houston Texas 77026 713-229-7300
Houston Humane Society
Owners can email photos, pet description and documentation to email@example.com
14700 Almeda Rd, Houston, TX 77053
Citizens for Animal Protection (CAP)
17555 Katy Freeway Houston, TX 77094
Here are some additional tips on how to find your lost pet.
We wish you the best in the search for your missing pet!
In the event of losing your pet, the Houston SPCA recommends that you vigorously pursue the following resources:
- Contact your local Animal Protection and Animal Control Agencies immediately. Please reference the Animal Control Agencies in and surrounding the Houston Area below.
- If your pet is microchipped, contact the microchip company and let them know your pet is missing. Most microchip companies can send out an alert to nearby veterinary clinics and shelters.
- If giving a report by telephone be prepared to give a detailed physical description and location where the pet was lost. It is always best to come view the animals in person if that option is available. Pictures on shelter websites do not do justice to a pet. They can be cropped, blurry, or taken at an odd angle.
- Make flyers using a clear photograph and detailed description of your pet for placement in all locations of inquiry.
- Update your voicemail to make sure callers hear a message with details about your pet’s situation. Ensure you have access to your voicemail if someone leaves you a message regarding your pet!
- For a cat, set a humane cat trap with some food inside. If possible, place your cat’s bed or blanket nearby or inside the trap. A frightened cat’s instinct is to hide in silence. Most “lost” cats tend to stay in the general vicinity from which they disappeared. It is rare that they would wander out of the immediate neighborhood unless perhaps they were recently moved. Be patient and creative with your search. Traps can be rented from your local animal control agency.
- Use social media accounts to post pictures and details of your lost pet. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, NextDoor App, etc. Be sure to always list their breed and as many distinguishing characteristics as possible, like coat color and size. Finders may search online for "lost Shih-Tzu" for example, and you'll want them to come across your posts.